A lovely blogger named Earth Muffin tagged me to do the following meme, so I’m going to do my best:
“Once you’ve been tagged, you have to write a blog with 10 weird, random, facts, habits or goals about yourself. At the end, choose 6 people to be tagged, list their names & why you tagged them. Don’t forget to leave them a comment saying “You’re it!” & to go read your blog. You cannot tag the person that tagged you, so since you’re not allowed to tag me back; let me know when you are done so I can go read YOUR weird/random/odd facts, habits and goals.”
Right now, I don’t think I can think of 6 people to tag, but I’ll give it a shot anyway. First, though, the “quirks”.
1. I HATE sleeping in a bed with the covers tucked in at the bottom. It makes me feel trapped, plus I like to get in the bed, lift up the covers with my feet, and make my own little “cocoon” around myself. I know that hotel housekeepers hate me for this trait.
2. I have, deep down, a very strong urge to compete in a triathlon. Don’t ask me why, I am about the least-likely triathlon competitor you would ever meet. I am, however, a really good swimmer, so maybe that’s where it starts. I’ve even gone so far as to buy a decent bicycle and read a couple of books on traning. There’s an “ordinary mortals” race here in town that if I really give it a shot, I could probably do. Maybe that’s a goal for 2009. We’ll see…
3. I am an introvert. If I lived by myself, and worked in the job I have now, I would probably go WEEKS without talking to a “live” person. People who know me say they can’t believe that, but it’s true. I can be very gregarious when I need to be, but I “recharge” by being alone.
4. Sometimes I wonder if I would be able to survive in a hostage or home invasion situation. I don’t dwell on it, but I think of scenarios that could happen and how I might deal with them. I think it’s better to think about those kind of things than think that something like that could never happen to you.
5. I am PETRIFIED by ladders. Not looking at them, or carrying them, or even walking under them, but climbing them. It’s not the height, it’s the unsteadiness and the fear of falling. As a fat woman who is getting older, falling is the one thing I really worry about. If the ladder were bolted onto the side of house, I probably wouldn’t have much trouble with it, but step ladders give me the heebie-jeebies.
6. I usually read 4 or 5 books at the same time, anything from murdery mystery/thrillers (Dennis Lehayne, Patricia Cornwell), historical fiction (Morgan Llewellen, Manda Scott), to classics (Alice in Wonderland), to philosophy (Dalai Lama), to history and religion (Bruce Feiler). The odd thing about this, is that no matter how diverse the books/subjects are, I will almost always run into something (a term, a theme, etc.) that manages to connect all of them. Which is why I believe in synchronicity.
7. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I want to eat as soon as I wake up in the morning. I know I’m eating right if I wake up hungry, i.e., not eating too late at night.
8. I love dancing. I love watching it and I love doing it, but don’t get a chance to all that much. Before I moved to CO, I took ballroom dancing for a year or so (I was single), and even dated an instructor for a while. It was incredibly fun and the best exercise ever. However, I did not discover that I loved it so much till I was in college. I was a complete klutz till then.
9. I hate going barefoot. Even in the heat of summer I will usually have on a pair of “shortie” socks and always slides or (non-thong) flip-flops. I also HATE anything that goes between my toes. (Does this count as 2?)
10. I would rather sit on our front porch at home with G. and watch the fabulous Colorado sunsets than do just about anything else. Much as I love to travel and see new places, I now realize what it means to really, REALLY, have a home, and it’s great.
Okay, the harder part…tagging 6 people:
1. Nina at Closer to Fine because I love her writing, and because in so many ways (she doesn’t know this), her story is similar to mine.
2. Gina at Drowning Pisces so she and Nina can compare notes (gotta love it, ladies)!! And because I love her writing, too!
3. Jen at Awakenings because she hasn’t written anything in WAAAAY too long, and I miss her postings.
4. Zirelda because she is a fellow Colorado blogger. Howdy, neighbor!
5. Reasonably Prudent Poet because I am really curious about what she will say!
6. Tina because, well, because she’s TINA!!! Duh!
So, there ya have it. Now I am off to tag these lovely ladies, and then I am off for the night.
Oh, and of course if any of you decides not to do this, that is perfectly fine, too! But I hope you do.