Because I haven’t done a meme in a while and because her writing gets me down to the bone and because one day I hope I’ll be able to write as well.
1) ONE OF YOUR SCARS. HOW DID YOU GET IT? Virtually all of my scars are not visible to the naked eye, and were made by the most deadly of all weapons, words. Sticks and stones, my ass.
2) WHAT IS ON THE WALLS OF YOUR BEDROOM? On the wall across from the bed where I see it every morning when I open my eyes, is a large (4′ x 4′) painting by this woman. I encountered it in a gallery in Taos, NM shortly after G and I met. It’s two women sitting together. The woman on the left is wearing a red dress with a billowing skirt that fills the entire bottom of the painting. She is young and wears her hair loose around her face. The other woman is older, with a scarf around her head (you can see her hair is grey), and she has her arm around the younger woman’s shoulders. They are both looking down at a sprouting plant the younger woman holds in both hands in her lap. The faces, expressions and light in the painting are exquisite. When I first saw the painting in the gallery, I stood there transfixed and tears started rolling down my face. I knew I had to have it. It was the most expensive piece of anything I’ve ever bought and I have never regretted buying it. To the left of that painting as you face it, hangs my drum.
Our bed is under a window and on the left side (mine) are two framed photographs of Killiney Bay south of Dublin. I took the photos the first time I was ever in Ireland and loved how they turned out so I had them enlarged and framed. They transport me back every time I look at them. On the right side (hers) is a framed print of Santa Fe Plaza by Judy Ortiz, an artist in Santa Fe, NM. She paints with a palette knife and the interesting thing about this print is that she put the image backwards on glass, then when she ran the prints they came off the “right” way.
Above the closet are mounted photographs that I took in various places that we’ve been–Monument Valley (oh, didn’t take that one, friend did), Castlewood Canyon near Denver, Great Sand Dunes park south of here, Venice Beach, CA and Glasshouse Mountains in Australia. Below that on the right side of the closet by the door is a giclee print I got G for her birthday this year. The title is “Blue Buffalo Man”. It shows a shaman speaking to a white buffalo, very primitive style, very symbolic. On the wall across from the closet it also a window. On the right is a framed pastel study of a nude woman in three positions, done by a friend of ours who is a fabulous pastel artist. We are lucky to have a number of her pieces. On the left side of the window hangs another piece from the Taos gallery, one that G fell in love with. It’s a small, square piece, that has nine different images arranged in a tic-tac-toe sort of fashion. I like it but it didn’t speak to me the way it did to her.
3) WHAT DOES YOUR MOBILE PHONE LOOK LIKE? A mobile phone.
4) WHAT MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO? I listen to all kinds of music. Right now, I am listening to Chris Spheeris, Eros, some of the most erotic, lush music ever. I have a number of his CDs and love all of them, but Eros is my favorite. I am picky about when I listen to music, tho. I can’t listen to music and read at the same time. I can listen to some kinds of music when I write, but not others. I love to listen to music when I drive. I love “world” music, from Spain, India, Arabia, South America, you name it. I adore Lady Gaga, and listen to her in the car a lot. I also recently discovered Adele and am inhaling her. I love kd lang. Her voice gives me chills every time I listen to her. I love John Fogarty and Creedence Clearwater Revival. They were my Beatles. I like the Beatles, too, but don’t own any of their music. I love Loreena McKinnett, her lyrics, her music and her musical scholarship. I adore The Traveling Wilburys. I like Melissa Etheridge and Melissa Ferrick. I rock out to Ozomatli. I can listen to anything by The Chieftains, who’ve been around nearly as long as I have. I do yoga to Deva Premal and t’ai chi to Tricia Yu. I love jazz, blues, and rock. What I don’t do; however, is listen to the radio.
5) DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME YOU WERE BORN? 7:23 p.m. Dallas, Texas, USA.
6) WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW? To see X once more before it’s no longer possible.
7) WHO DO YOU MISS? My mother. And X.
8. IS ANYONE IN LOVE WITH YOU OR HAS A CRUSH ON YOU? Yes.
9) WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU KISSED? G, of course.
10) WHAT IS YOUR MIDDLE NAME? I don’t have a middle name.
11) THE BEST TV SHOW EVER CREATED? Lost, followed closely by The X-Files.
12) THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO? G, just a while ago.
13) DO YOU GET SCARED IN THE DARK? Never. I love the dark. I do my best work in the dark.
14) THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY? My daughter.
15) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOGNE/PERFUME? I am extremely sensitive to artificial scents/perfumes. I can’t wear anything scented or use any kind of scented products (lotion, bath oil, etc.). I use pure essential oils if I want to use a scent. Otherwise, clean human is a great perfume. 😉
16) WHAT KIND OF HAIR/EYE COLOR DO YOU LIKE IN THE OPPOSITE SEX? I have always been attracted to people (men and woman) with dark hair and dark eyes or the startling contrast of dark hair and blue or green eyes. Thus, it’s only natural that I would end up with a towhead whose hair turns white-blond in the summer sun, right?
17) WOULD YOU RATHER BE SMART OR FUNNY? Definitely smart, because when you’re smart, way more things are funny.
18) COFFEE OR ENERGY DRINKS? Coffee, coffee and COFFEE!!
19) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PIZZA TOPPING? Italian sausage, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives.
20) IF YOU COULD EAT ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE? A rare rib-eye steak.
21) WHO IS THE LAST PERSON WHO MADE YOU MAD? I honestly don’t remember the last time I got really, really mad at anyone. I get annoyed at my daughter, frustrated with G sometimes, exasperated, etc. Not watching the news has helped my temper a lot.
22) DO YOU SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE? I speak Spanish well enough to get around. The longer I’m around a language the better I get at it.
23) WHAT WAS THE FIRST GIFT THAT YOU REMEMBER SOMEONE GIVING YOU? My father brought me home a spinning top, the kind where you push down on the handle and it spins, when I was about 3 years old. I remember him bending down from his great height (6’7″) and handing it to me.
24) DO YOU LIKE SOMEONE? Yes, indeed, very much!
25) ARE YOU DOUBLE JOINTED? Since I’m not exactly sure what that is, then probably not. I do crack my knuckles and my neck. I’ve cracked my knuckles since I was about 8 years old and they’re not gnarly and knobby at all, like people said they would be. So there.
26) FAVORITE CLOTHING BRAND? Whatever fits they way I like it. I rarely by any kind of clothes just because of a brand.
27) WHAT IS YOUR DREAM CAR? One that’s paid for.
28) WHAT COLOR IS IT? One that shows the least amount of dirt/dust.
29) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE KIND OF EXERCISE? Swimming. Being in the water just does something to me. I feel more connected to the world after I’ve been swimming.
30) WOULD YOU FALL IN LOVE KNOWING THAT THE PERSON IS LEAVING? Probably. Then I could write a tragic novel about it.
31) WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TELL SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU? Sit them down on the couch, take their hands in yours, look deep into their eyes and say the words. Guarantee you’ll both cry.
32) WRITE A NUMBER FROM ONE TO A HUNDRED. 25
33) BLONDES OR BRUNETTES? Yes, please. But, really? Redheads!
34) WHAT IS THE ONE NUMBER YOU CALL THE MOST OFTEN? G’s cell phone when she’s not home.
35) WHAT ANNOYS YOU MOST? Rudeness and bad driving, and aren’t they really the same thing?
36) HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE COUNTRY? WHERE DID YOU GO? WHAT PLACE DID YOU LIKE BEST? I have been to England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain and Australia. I loved Spain more than I ever expected to, but I lost my heart and soul to London. Australia definitely had the friendliest, happiest people. Everyone there was just plain in a good mood all the time.
37) YOUR WEAKNESSES? It’s easy for me to write about emotional things and very difficult for me to speak about the same. It’s hard for me to say what I really want out loud.
38) FRIES/CHIPS, RICE OR BEANS? Fries, salty, with ketchup. Fries are the only thing I eat ketchup on. Except for McDonald’s fries. No ketchup, just the salty, junk-foody goodness. Oxymoron, that, eh?
39) FIRST JOB? Book shelver in the Atlanta Public Library.
40) EVER PRANK CALLED SOMEONE? Yes.
41) WHAT WERE YOU DOING BEFORE YOU FILLED OUT THIS? Hanging up laundry and cleaning my office.
42) IF YOU COULD GET PLASTIC SURGERY, WHAT WOULD IT BE? Truthfully, I would only get plastic surgery to fix either a congenital or a traumatic deformity. I’m far from perfect, but I really do like myself the way I am.
43) WHY DID YOU FILL OUT THIS MEME? Because of a deep-seated need for the approval of strangers. And because it seemed like fun.
44) WHAT DO YOU GET COMPLIMENTED ON THE MOST? My boundless supply of trivial knowledge. And my cooking.
45) WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF ALCOHOL BECAME ILLEGAL? Drink more coffee!
46) WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY? My two front…oh, wait, that’s Christmas. One year, I’d like to be dropped off (alone) at a movie theater when it opened and then picked up when it closed or after I had watched every movie showing. But only if it was one of those rare occasions where every movie was one I really wanted to see. Otherwise I might watch one or two movies multiple times. Heaven!
47) HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT? Uh, I think I’ll skip this one, thank you.
48) WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Not that I know of. My father named me and my sister and he only liked 2 women’s names, mine and hers. She has a family name for a middle name. As stated above, I have none.
49) WHICH FINGER IS YOUR FAVORITE? I’m partial to my opposable thumbs.
50) DO YOU WISH ON STARS? Mightily.
51) WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Sonic bacon double cheeseburger and tater tots with a cherry limeade. I AM in training, right??
52) DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? My handwriting is completely illegible which is why I type nearly everything, including grocery lists.
53) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Rare roast beef.
54) ANY BAD HABITS? Certainly.
55) WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING CD ON THE SHELF? Mike Naismith’s (from The Monkees) “The Hits Just Keep on Comin'”. Yes. I bought it. I even listened to it. Once.
56) IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Probably, pretty much all of my friends are other people.
57) HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A SECRET THAT YOU SWORE NOT TO TELL? No.
58) DO LOOKS MATTER? In some cases more than others, certainly.
59) YOU RELEASE YOUR ANGER? I have a very bad temper when pushed too far. However, I have learned to deflect it, or to let it go in other ways, thru exercise or writing or watching a movie or reading a book. As long as I can get off by myself for some depressurizing time, I do pretty well at it.
60) WHERE IS YOUR SECOND HOME? London will always be the home of my spirit with Edinburgh, Scotland a close second.